Thursday, August 25, 2005

Am I a statistic?

We recently participated in a Bay Area hip-hop festival: KMEL’s Summer Jam (more on this to come later). When I say participated, I don’t mean that we were up on stage with John Legend and Kanye West (please). We set up an info booth and let people know what we are all about. But here’s the thing, we also gave away our new slogan bracelets that lets people express how they feel about drunk driving. The bracelets read, “I Am Not A Statistic.” Think about that for a minute.

I think the roots of this bracelet can be found in what we have been talking about in the office lately. Basically, we are all kind of fed up with either the 1) faux-hipster or 2) childish language used when addressing teens. From what I can see, this happens more often in places where people are trying to sell teens unoriginal products: crappy teen magazine ads, unsuccessful online clothing stores, and other houses of shill.

When I was a teen, I wasn’t dumb, but I wouldn’t call myself the brightest bulb in the bunch either. But I did know one thing; I had x-ray vision when it came to ads. Middle-aged ad men using what they thought was the freshest urban slang trying to sell me the latest pimple cream or microwavable pizza? I couldn’t connect. But I am in no way a spokesperson for everyone. However, I still think most people are tired of that weird sort of approach.

Is it just me? I think teens are smarter than that. They certainly need guidance and major decisions – especially when it comes to purchases. But teens are pretty savvy about a lot of things. Now, think about that for a minute.

Enough of my rant.

Something to think about – that is all.


Posted by Stephanie P. - "Middle-aged ad men scare me."

No comments: